Tips For Adjusting To Life Abroad

Friday 27 January 2017 • 2 comments

Having lived in Oslo for three weeks now, I think I'm definitely qualified to dole out my advice for getting used to living in different country... right?

After finding it a bit weird and overwhelming for a little bit, which is completely normal I suppose, I'm now loving my life and have no regrets whatsoever about choosing to study here for six months. I had high hopes of moving into my accommodation and immediately finding an amazing group of people and becoming super close and my life basically resembling Friends except in Oslo and not New York.

But life isn't fiction, it's not always glossy and glamorous and easy, and making real friendships takes time. My dad once told me that you spend your first term of university trying to make friends, and the second term trying to get rid of them! 




1. Take social media with a pinch of salt

Like everyone, I did the whole, omg add me on Facebook lets be besties, and then inevitably talked to less than half of them. But I found it somewhat disconcerting in the first, when I saw pictures of people grouping together and posting about how much they loved their new friends, and I hadn't really clicked with anyone yet. 

It's so easy to compare yourself and panic about you're going to be a loner, and to forget that so much of what is posted online is an exaggeration, and not a true portrayal of everyone's lives. In reality, they probably weren't spending every minute together sitting around making friendship bracelets, and were probably feeling a little bit homesick. Which leads me onto my next tip...

2. Making friends takes time

It's highly unlikely that you'll meet your friendship soulmate in the first hour, and that's okay! Just because it might take a week or two, it doesn't mean you never will, or that there's anything wrong with you at all. Deep, meaningful friendships don't develop over night, so you keep being optimistic and looking out for similarly minded people.

3. Plan things in advance

I've been planning trips, booking gigs and organising friends coming over to see me, and for me, having things to look forward is so important. Knowing that I have loads of fun things ahead of me means I can get all excited, and know that if there are times I don't have much on, that will change!

4. Be bold and make the first move

Is it just me, or is asking someone out on a friendship date scarier than an actual date? There's still that same fear of rejection, except that friendships are almost more personal and it's quite rare to click with someone. But my advice would be to just to text that person you think seems really cool, because chances are, they're just as shy and unwilling to put themselves out there as you!

If they say no, then hey, no biggie because at least you tried. But if they say yes you might have the start of a really great friendship!

5. Say yes to every invite

One of my regrets so far is turning down an invite to a party because I wasn't really feeling it, and I might have missed out of meeting some really nice people, as well as strengthening existing acquaintances. It's not majorly impacted my time, but I have been making a real effort to drag my ass out of my room and go along to everything I've been invited to.

The other night I went to a gig with a society I've just joined, and although I'd never heard of the singer before, it ended up being super fun. Although at all the pre drinks I've been to here, someone has played Barbie Girl because Aqua are from Norway...

And now I'm off to get ready for vors, or drinks, with some friends- what's the betting I'll be screaming out "come on Barbie let's go party" in a few hours?!

Probably quite high tbh.

Honor xxx

2 comments

  1. I'm literally going to pass these tips onto everyone I know who is moving abroad. Such a beautifully written post <3

    Lois | www.aworthytrend.com xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much- that's so kind of you!

      xxx

      Delete