Signature Scents | What Perfume Means to Me

Wednesday 18 January 2017 • No comments

I've only ever worn two perfumes consistently in my life, Chanel's Chance Eau Fraîche, and Yves St Laurent's Black Opium Eau de Parfum. I love the idea of having a signature scent, of someone catching a trace of that perfume going through their daily lives and immediately associating it with you. My flatmate once told me that she knew whenever I had left the house, because she could smell my perfume lingering down the stairs.



I think scent is incredibly evocative, in a way unlike other senses. Smelling something familiar can immerse you in memories, bittersweet and happy. It seems to spark memories and recollections in me, just as certain songs do. Like that cologne someone was wearing on the tube, and it leaves you thinking of that guy you liked who always wore that, or someone who used to make you so happy. Or even how you can tell it's almost Christmas by the smell of cinnamon and gingerbread permeating from every Pret and Starbucks.

Personally, I can never smell Jo Malone's Lime, Basil and Mandarin without immediately thinking of my mum. Just the scent of that makes me think of being a little girl, watching her put her make up on and get ready for work, finishing off with a few spritzes of her perfume, and I remember thinking how incredibly glamorous the whole process was.

Anything floral, particularly with roses, leaves me comforted and thinking of being enveloped in hugs from my grandma, who always seems to have a spritz of roses to hand. So these scents will always have a special place in my heart, and I know I could never wear them without thinking of two of the most important ladies in my life.

Chanel's perfume was the first one I ever fell in love with, and it's deeply engrained in my memories. Like my 18th birthday, a good luck for going to university or as a congratulations for passing exams. It's so fresh and citrusy, yet lasts incredibly well, and is an instant mood lifter.

Black Opium is a new one in my life (I feel like I'm cheating on Chanel- I promise that come summer you'll be back in my life <3). The two perfumes are incredibly different, this one is much darker and more mysterious somehow, whenever I put it on I feel instantly alluring and more bad ass. There's definitely some vanilla and coffee in there, and it's altogether heavier and wintery somehow. It's one meant for seduction, long days and longer nights, being so close to someone that all you're aware of is them, lingering, heavily lidded gazes across the room and channelling your inner sensuality.

What are your signature scents?

Honor xxx

Post a Comment