Thoughts From An English Girl in Oslo | Diary One

Sunday 8 January 2017 • 2 comments

If you read my last post, you'll know that I've just recently moved to Oslo, and even after 3 days here, it's been such an experience. I'm planning on doing a series of posts about living and studying in another country, and exploring this beautiful Scandinavian city.




Long, rambling posts of me waxing lyrical about mountains, pastries, and snow might become the norm! There's so many international students here, it got me thinking that there's probably lots of people out there moving to another country, feeling unsure about what might be ahead of them. I know I've been searching for posts/articles about life in Oslo, so I thought some people might find my thoughts here interesting!

There's barely anyone in my flat, and I don't start my induction week until tomorrow, so I've been on my own this weekend, probably for the first time in my life! I've always been naturally sociable, so it's been a weird adjustment to spending days on my own. It's not been as bad as I would have expected it to be though, so I'm going to share my thoughts and tips of adjusting to life abroad.


1. The people I love and who love me are amazing

I've always been so appreciative of my friends and family, but I've really noticed what a special support network I have since I've been apart from them. I've been gone a paltry three days, but I've already facetimed three of my best friends, had calls from my parents, brother, aunt, cousin and grandma (She learnt how to use Facebook messenger for me!), so I've hardly had time to be lonely.

So many people I love are coming to visit me, and I'm so excited to show them around my new city and discover it together. Although I can't wait to meet more people here and make new friends, I'm so lucky knowing that I have the best people waiting for me at home <3 (soppy but hey, whatcha gonna do about it?!)

2. Getting lost in a city is the best way to explore it

I absolutely HATE not being busy, I can't sit and binge watch series on netflix, and lie ins rarely happen to me. So when faced with a weekend of absolutely no plans and nothing to get up for was somewhat daunting. But the prospect of a completely new city waiting to be discovered got me leaping out of bed.

I've spent the last two days just wandering around, ticking off areas I'd wanted to visit, and getting my bearings and a feel for the city. It's led me to find some super cool places, and work out exactly where I am. Got me thinking about how fun it would be to do anyway, even in London or my home town, to see what I find. Stick in your headphones, look at surroundings and off you go!

3. Try local food and coffee shops

It's legit worth moving/travelling to Scandinavia for the pastries. Like holy cow I've gotta be careful and not eat everything because can all the kanelboller (cinnamon/cardamon buns) get in me please?

Go crazy and try all the foods with names you don't understand, why have pizza when you could have smørrebrød?

4. Take pictures and make the most of your surroundings

Go and be a happy lil tourist snapping away at everything around you- no one's judging. Snapchat your friends and fam and make them all jel, and get enough pictures that you'll be able to look back in a years time and go 'ahh I remember that place, I loved it there!'

Keep your eyes wide open, and take every chance that comes your way- who knows where you'll end up!

5. Give yourself a goal and purpose

It is WEIRD when everything comfortable around you changes to something completely new, and it can feel a bit like you're lost. So give yourself a goal every day, to get you motivated and out of bed. It can be a small thing like trying a new recipe, or doing a blog post, or something adventurous like visiting a new part of town, an exhibition or calling up that girl in your seminar who you always talk to but never see out of class.

Reading this back, I sound v dramatic, like I know, it's only been 3 days, but honestly, having a creative outlet like this is so enjoyable and therapeutic. Plus shout out to my bestie, doing blog posts together on facetime when we're hundreds of miles apart is the best.

Hope you all had a good weekend and are ready for the week ahead!

Honor


2 comments

  1. So positive and inspiring. You are going to have such a fabulous time with incredible memories x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your support on my blog! Already having an amazing time :)

      Delete