5 Observations From A Norwegian Night Out | Diary Three

Sunday 15 January 2017 • 2 comments

After a minor whingefest the other day about settling in here, the last few days have been looking up much more! I finally met someone in my accommodation who I can chat to, which makes a huge difference. Plus, I've thrown myself in to everything I can, I've seen even more of Oslo, and got to know people far better. 




No, this isn't the Norwegian nightlife the title referred to (spoiler alert), but the Viking Ship museum which I visited with a group of girls I'd met the other day. It was also a choice between this picture and one of me stuffing my face with falafel, so I thought this one was more aesthetically pleasing... It's one of Oslo's most popular attractions, and for a lil history nerd like me, seeing three Viking ships and the various relics found with them was pretty damn exciting.

Sightseeing was such a good way to get to know people better, as it was fun, and if conversation began to die down, there was always something else to look at and discuss. We're even planning a trip to Stockholm next months, which is so exciting as I've always wanted to go there.

That evening, we went to our Norwegian friend's apartment for vors (essentially pre-drinks), which was so much fun. It was fascinating being inside a true Oslo apartment, which felt so Scandinavian! Think white-washed wooden floors, rugs, blankets etc. Oh and Ikea furniture. LOTS of Ikea furniture. 

Side note, there are free buses to Ikea from the city centre which is just brilliant. And they're always packed! Ikea is v v popular.

So my top 5 things I learnt from a Norwegian night out are.....

1. For once, screw style and wear the biggest, warmest coat you can over your beautifully put together outfit

Like many, many other people, on a regular night out, my outfit is generally dictated by what I think looks best, rather than what is necessarily practical. Huge blisters? But those silver heeled boots are just too cute. Cant sit down in my skirt without thinking I'm gonna flash someone? All the more reason to be up and dancing. Anyway, you get the picture.

I put on a cute top with my trusty culottes and boots (wow so practical they don't have a heel) and popped to the shop next to my accommodation and did a scarily accurate impression of Frosty the Snowman/Rudolph with a glowing cold nose)

So it was off with the furry jacket and on with the knee length, khaki, fur lined beast of a coat which my mum bought me for Christmas in the hopes of preventing me becoming a human ice block during my time here.

NO REGRETS.

2. Going to a kebab house at 3am is a MUST. It's basically a ritual.

Every buddy group for international students had a list of challenges we had to complete this week, and the fact that one of them was going to a kebab house tells you the significance of this hallowed institution...

All the clubs and bars have to shut at 3am, so come then, the kebab houses are flooded with students stumbling in. Being vegetarian, I went for a pitta full of falafely goodness packed with salad so I could kid myself it was vaguely healthy (if I can ignore the copious amounts of mayo and sauces dolloped in there, but who's judging?!)

3. Alcohol is much more restricted here

Meeting at 8, my friends planned on getting drinks on the way without releasing that in Norway, you can't buy liquor in shops past 8pm on weekdays, and 3pm on weekends. This was such a change from the UK, where seeing a few people having beers outside pubs at 11am isn't a particularly uncommon occurrence. I kind of like it though, Norway has its shit together and it feels like a healthier lifestyle here in general. Although I'm definitely not saying that people don't party hard here, may or may not have had a cheeky slut drop contest...

4. Apparently my dancing is good here...

Despite wearing Timberlands the other day at a bar which turned into a bit of a dance off, my inner BeyoncĂ© was still released, and throwing caution (/my pride) to the wind, I completely went for it. And hey, you know what? No one cared!

So when my group of girls hit the dance floor when we went out, I was cutting shapes like nobodies business and it was SO MUCH FUN. Plus, someone came up to me and told me that my dancing was great, so can't be all that bad! Having said that I really hope he wasn't just wasted and couldn't see straight...

5. It's not that different to what I'm used to!

When it came down to it, the formula for a night out is pretty similar to what it's always been. Pre-gaming with drinking games (Ring of Fire is a universal concept with different names- ahh the beauty of transcending cultural barriers), trying to stand up straight and not fall over on public transport, going to a club, dancing like a moron, then stuffing your face with food to round off the night.

May there be many more of these ahead of me here!

Honor xxx

2 comments

  1. Ah I absolutely love this! SO, essentially - it's pretty similar to a night out in the UK, they just have their shit together! Love it!

    Please keep posting like this!

    Lois | www.aworthytrend.com xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you're enjoying my posts! It really is, feel like we need to have a proper night out soon!

      Lots of love xxxx

      Delete