Theatre Review | Austentatious

Friday 28 August 2015 • 4 comments

I was intending to write a post about Edinburgh Fringe Festival as a whole, but I found I had far too much to say about the wonder that is Austentatious and felt it deserved a post all to itself! My long suffering family had the pleasure (!) yesterday of carting me around in a wheelchair due to an old skiing injury, but they all said the trek up the many hills was worth it for this production.

If you like comedy, improvisation, Jane Austen/the Regency Era or even just going to the theatre, this is well worth a watch.





I'm going to preface this by saying that I know I'm gushing somewhat, but just in case you don't believe me, here is a 5 star review by The Times, of a similar ilk to this!

Since I first discovered the group last year in Edinburgh, I've been to see them at least 5 times in London and they've never disappointed, in fact I think they've improved- the last time I laughed as much as yesterday was the previous time I saw them! 

They're made up of 7 equally brilliant actors; 4 incredibly funny actresses who will leave you in hysterics, (and also give you serious hair envy with their Austen updos), one of them, Cariad LLoyd, was on Have I Got News For You; and 3 dashing gentlemen who are just ridiculously talented, (coincidentally any of whom I would happily let whisk me off to Almack's at my first debutante ball... If only such things still existed today as in Jane's time- going to Ministry of Sound etc nowadays doesn't have quite the same ring to it.)


In 60 minutes, they improvise a Jane Austen novel based entirely on audience suggestions- each time I've seen them it has been completely different yet always with feisty heroines, debonair heroes and weirdly wonderful plots, acted in the Regency style: think Mansfield Shark, 50 Shades of Darcy- you name it. Yes there are modern colloquialisms and references, but when coupled with the costumes, it's even funnier. It's fast paced, witty and so, so clever- the plots come together seamlessly, and there are so many one liners, puns and running jokes I lost count. If you're looking for a slick piece of theatre with no faults, then something scripted might be more to your liking- personally I found the accidental contradictions and the way the actors would make things hard for each other hilarious.

The reviews are stellar, and it's obvious that everyone else in the audience enjoyed it just as much as I did. It's on at the Udderbelly in Edinburgh during Festival season, but they also do regular shows in London- which works out well for me being a student there!

I've brought along so many of my friends to see it, and they've all loved it just as much as I have. So although I am fond of hyperbole, it's not much of an exaggeration for me to say that this isn't only one of the best improvisation groups I've seen, it's also one of the best things I've seen at the theatre altogether, simply for the sheer joy of it.

Link for their website | http://austentatiousimpro.com/

Social media | Twitter , Facebook

Honor xxx

4 comments

  1. This sounds like something one of my best friends would enjoy, I will have to recommend it and this post to her. Also just to let you know I have nominated you for the Liebster Award :) All of the information about it is in my most recent post, I hope you take part.

    http://www.shanaliexo.blogspot.co.uk

    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is brilliant!

      Thank you so much, that's lovely :-) I'll definitely take part, looking forward to it.

      xxx

      Delete
  2. I need to go see this! You've painted such a vivd picture with this post, it sounds amazing! <3

    Lois | www.aworthytrend.blogspot.co.uk

    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really do! I'm glad you think so, they deserve a bigger following.

      xxxx

      Delete