5 Things I've Learned From Regularly Working Out

Tuesday 28 March 2017 • No comments

I know, I know, there's so many fitness posts out there and incredibly toned people which make you wonder how abs can even look like that, but this isn't one of those preachy 'let's all go eat kale' posts. Side note- I actually really kinda love kale now when its stir fried with olive oil and salt sorry not sorry.

Before this year, I was always pretty active, but never really committed to consistently exercise, it was more of a oh maybe I'll go to a yoga class this week. Since coming to Oslo and joining a gym which includes classes in my membership, I've been going at least 4 times a week, and now I can't imagine not working out regularly.

I'm never going to be one of those dreamy bikini goddesses (looking at you Emily Ratajkowski you absolute dreamboat)- when I was a child my mum took me to the Doctor to ask why my stomach was so rounded only to find out that's 'just my shape'... Yay for genetics!! But my aesthetic has gone from 'might occasionally eat a salad and walks around but obvs polishes off family size bags of minstrels' to 'could still eat a giant bag of M&Ms in one sitting but has some form of muscle definition'. And tbh I wouldn't have it any other way.



1. It will be hard at times

Yes, there will be times when I wake up feeling like I've aged 50 years overnight and oh my gosh is this what every day will be like when I'm retired?! Muscles will ache, walking up the stairs will take an embarrassingly long time, and it will feel like there's never been any changes or improvements in my fitness. But every time I go to a class, I can do that extra burpee, stretch a little bit lower or use a heavier weight. And even if I can't see physical changes, it's improving my overall health and giving me an instant mood booster.

2. I can do it- keep pushing myself

I can't even tell you how many times I've wanted to walk out of a class and transport myself to a tropical island where someone is fanning me with a giant palm leaf (weirdly specific but hey your mind wanders when you're on what feels like your millionth squat). But I've never given up and stopped, I keep reminding myself that I am strong and that I can do this because it'll be worth it when I've got that satisfied buzz after the class. And when I can justify that extra spoon of coconut peanut butter. But that's not the real motivation. Promise.

3. Language barriers are real but make good stories

Guess who spent an entire boxing class thinking the instructor was saying 'apricot' and not 'uppercut'? Yup.... 

4. Don't compare myself

Like in most situations in life, there's always going to be someone skinnier, someone stronger, a girl with funkier leggings or someone who's hair looks perfect after a HIIT class when I'm looking like a cross between an actual tomato and Monica in that episode of Friends where humidity hits her hard. 

And that can get pretty demoralising if you let it. We're all guilty of it. But really, what good does it do? They're probably looking at someone else and comparing themselves negatively to them. Instead, the only person I should compare myself with is myself, my previous workouts, and seeing myself get stronger.

5. Weight training is the best

I really, really hate cardio with a passion- the monotony of running is just not the one for me. But I know how important it is, so I've been combining it by taking classes which incorporate both strength and cardio. And I've discovered that I kinda love weights, and since I've started doing them regularly, I've really noticed a difference in myself. My arms are definitely more toned, and if you squint super hard you can kinda see some semblance of abs. Kettlebells, you da best <3

Give it two weeks, and I'll be waxing lyrical about the frankly disgusting amount of easter eggs I've inhaled, but hey, everything in moderation right?

Honor xxx

Post a Comment