5 Underrated (And Cheap!) Things To Do In Oslo

Wednesday 15 March 2017 • No comments

I just had one of those wonderful weekends which really made me appreciate just how lucky I am. Lucky to have the chance to live and study in a beautiful Scandinavian city. Lucky to have amazing people in my life. Lucky to have the chance to really make the most of my time in Oslo, and to experience everything I possibly can.

Having visitors always makes me fall in love with Oslo more. Seeing this incredible city through the eyes of someone who has never been here before, seeing the awe at the vast, sweeping landscapes, and general delight at the way of life. A quick google will give you a long list of things to do and places to see here, but I wanted to add my own suggestions. These are five of my favourite things to do in Oslo, and things which I'd say are supremely underrated, like Oslo itself really.

1. Tobogganing



BEST THING EVER. Imagine whizzing down an ex-bobsleigh track on a traditional wooden sleigh, surrounded by silence, towering pines and views for miles across fjords and hills, sledding for ten minutes, and then hopping on a metro to take you back up to the top of the hill.

Pretty perfect right?

The entire time I was sledding, I couldn't wipe the grin off my face from sheer fun and excitement of tobogganing. It was like being a little kid again, thrilled at the first snow of the year and the prospect to sled for 20 seconds down a small incline, and then trudging back up to the top. Except it was 10x better.

Stopping for a drink with this view half way through made me feel as if I was on a skiing holiday, and a million miles from all my problems and responsibility.

It's the worth the -15 degree weather, if you can do this at the weekend. Check it out here- and definitely plan to do this if you're here in the summer!


2. Sognsvann lake


I've mentioned this lake before, but it deserved being included because I love it so much. It's only just over a 3 kilometre walk, but it's beautiful and serene, and just a 15 minute metro ride from the city centre.

In the winter it's so frozen that people walk on it, ice skate, sled and play hockey, amongst a backdrop of crystallised trees, a white blanket of snow to soften your walk and air so crisp you can feel it in your lungs.

In summer it's a popular running track, where people take BBQs and picnics, and the brave even take a quick dip in the crystal clear waters.

Whatever the season, this small oasis is a must!

3. Ekeberg Park


When you think sculpture park in Oslo, you think Vigeland- one of Oslo's most popular attractions. And yes, it's great and interesting and the famous crying baby statue is funny, but I'd pick Ekeberg any day over it.

You hop on a tram which takes a winding path stretching around a hill overlooking Oslo, and from the second you get off and start wandering around, the views are breathtaking. The city looks so small and idyllic, and the scale of the fjords and the natural beauty is startling evident.

It even has sculptures of a kind- there are over 20 modern art installations dotted around the park, including ones by Damien Hirst and equally famous artists. They range from the fantastical to the bizarre- a talking streetlamp was a particular highlight for us...

4. Boat trip around the Fjord


You'll see many sightseeing boat trips around the fjord being advertised, at prices you could have a fair amount of fun in Zara with. But fjords are so synonymous with Norway, it would be a shame to miss out on seeing the city by water, seeing the small islands and colourful weekend houses, and the general fun of boat trips. (Can you tell I love water yet from this post?!)

Get a Ruter travel card for the time you're here- it covers trams, buses, metros and boats. Yup, boats. Get on a regular ferry which takes you on a round trip around the fjords from Rådhuset or Aker Brygge, or one in summer with goes to Bygdøy, the peninsula where the Viking Ship Museum and other museums are housed.

Practical and on a budget- a dreamy way to spend a morning!

5. Wander Grunerløkka and Mathallen Food Hall


Last, but certainly not least, I couldn't write a mini guide to Oslo without including Grunerløkka, my favourite neighbourhood here. It's known as the 'hipster' part, full of quirky cafes (think Cocoa- a place dedicated to hot chocolate), vintage and charity shops, and cool gig venues like Parkteatret. 

I love spending a saturday or Sunday morning here, getting coffee and pastries (my favourite places are Gødt Brod and Nord bakeri), and looking at the little markets and shops.

It's also my favourite place to go in the evening, Mucho Mas does the best Mexican food and margaritas I've had, and the clubs and bars are fun. Mathallen food hall in the cute area of Vulkan is a foodie's dream. Essentially a street food market in an old factory; think exposed brick work, food from across the world, and fresh Norwegian delicacies. The best and most individual place for an evening's meal I can think of in Oslo!

Oslo's normally known for being one of the most expensive cities on earth, something that, along with the mind-numbing cold, seems to put people off wanting to visit it. But everyone who comes to see me always exclaims at how special it is here, how much there is to do, and how much they want to come back. 

If wanderlust is hitting you, I know that RyanAir's flights here start at just £16.99 each way...

Honor xxx

Post a Comment