Monthly Misses | January

Thursday 28 January 2016 • 2 comments

I approached January with the attitude of simply getting through it, since everyone knows it's probably the least exciting month of the year. But I've been so pleasantly surprised by how enjoyable it's actually been I thought I'd do a round up of all I'm going to miss about it. I'm thinking about doing this every month- hopefully not another resolution I'll end up breaking!

(Genuinely don't think I've ever made it more than a few weeks into my resolutions- I'm blaming early Easter for the abundance of Creme Eggs screwing with my healthy eating...)


1. Brunch at The Black Penny








Last Sunday, my best friend went for brunch at the most gorgeous cafe called The Black Penny in Covent Garden, but slightly away from the main tourist area so it was much more peaceful. We nabbed seats by the window so we could people watch to our heart's content, but inside the cafe is so cute you'd probably be happy wherever you sat.

The atmosphere is quirky and oh so sophisticated. It's the kind of place where you walk out and immediately want to redecorate your entire room to look like. Think my uni would uni if I painted my walls and changed everything?!

The walls are yellow though. YELLOW. And not a nice soft yellow, but a harsh, excessively bright acidicy colour which makes me want to cry at 4am when I'm back from a night out.



We both went for the brunch option called The Gatherer, and oh my daaaays. Yum doesn't even beginning to cover it. Lois and I were discussing which bit of it was our favourite, and I basically ended up listing everything on my plate. Oops.

For a veggie this was food heaven, it's so nice to have a really hearty, healthy(ish) brunch option- can I eat all the halloumi ever please?? Even spinach which I'm normally pretty noncommittal about was made to be more flavoursome than normal. And forget Heinz, you aint seen nothing yet until you've tried these home made baked beans- so smoky and delicious.


2. Gigs

January has been a surprisingly music heavy month which immediately makes it a million times better. One night I got a call from my friend asking if I could theoretically play in a gig the next evening as their saxophonist had bailed... So 12 hours I was quickly learning and improvising along, and I just had the best evening. Whether it's playing or listening, music is the most therapeutic thing for me- it instantly lifts my mood.



At the weekend I went to go and see a band called Tellison, who's Youtube is here. They're not very big, but I honestly don't know why- if you like indie rock you should definitely check them out.

I've only recently become a fan, but almost everyone there seemed to know the words to all the songs which gave the evening the best atmosphere. The only downer (literally) for me was the incessant rain- my carefully curled hair resembled Monica in Friends in this episode.

The venue in Brixton was pretty small and was a proper gig venue- think dark walls, low ceilings, too many people crammed in and a general dingy but brilliant buzz. Plus, I couldn't go to Brixton without seeing the David Bowie shrine- I was staggered by the sheer volume of flowers and gifts there.


3. Being back in London

Don't get me wrong, it was lovely being back home over Christmas but 7/8 weeks is LONG. I didn't realise how much I would miss uni, my friends and being in London- after living in the country all my life I'm starting to think I may be a closet city girl....

Every day I walk over Waterloo bridge and it never fails to make me look like a tourist, gawping at the sights and sighing at the beautiful views. It's so buzzy and there's always something to do, but I love how you can always find a quiet and peaceful spot too. Our friendship at uni has vowed to make the most of living in central London at our halls since we'll probably be further out next year (oh London why are you so expensive to live in?!)

Recently, the Lumiere festival came to town, and for a few days some of the busiest parts were taken over by free light shows and displays.


We inadvertently stumbled upon the one at Piccadilly Circus and wandered around in awe. With music playing, it did feel like we were in a film or something- it was a surreal moment! I can't see myself ever getting tired of being a student in London, and for all that accommodation prices makes me want to weep into my bank account, there's always a free exhibition or show on.

I'm excited for the light show at Chiswick house for the Chinese New Year in February, and I finally feel like spring is on the way!

What are you going to miss from January?

Honor xxx




2 comments

  1. Wow, you were brave to step into a gig so short notice! I'd love to be able to do something like that! How incredible is that David Bowie shrine? couldn't think of anything more fitting!

    Musings & More

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah thank you, it was just so much fun! It was pretty incredible, I'm really glad I got to see it. I hadn't been to Brixton, so I think it was a good time to go!

      Honor xxx

      Delete