How I Got My Dream Fashion Internship

Saturday 8 October 2016 • No comments

Well blogging it's been a while... But for the best reasons I could think of, as for the last three weeks I've been one of Look magazine's fashion interns, and it's been one of the most incredible experiences.

I've always loved writing, and journalism has been a career I've considered for absolutely ages, but it's only been after reading people's blogs and starting this one that I've seriously considered it as a career.

I knew I wanted to get some experience in this field to see if it was for me, so last month I wrote to a few of my favourite magazines to see if they needed interns.


I got incredibly lucky and was offered a four week placement at Look, so here are a few of my top tips for gaining experience at a fashion magazine.

1. Personalise your cover letter for every magazine you apply for

Make sure you emphasise why you want to work for that specific magazine and why you think you'd be suited to it. Reference recent articles/features you particularly like and explain why, a little bit of effort definitely goes a long way.

2. Show you're a team player

In my personal experience, interns have to be willing to learn, up for a challenge, and can adapt to situations thrown your way. In your CV emphasise your ability to work with people and highlight how you're interested in learning from those in the company.

3. Let your personality shine through

Obviously you have to be professional, but definitely be enthusiastic in your application, show how much you want this!

I'm still at uni at the same time as doing my internship, so I've been running around London like an idiot these last few weeks being here there and everywhere, hence the lack of blog posts.

But I'm super excited to write more about it, share some outfit pics and generally gush about the fabulousness of fashion and magazines. Trying to post an OOTD everyday on my instagram, so get ya booty over there if you fancy!


Despite the craziness, it's been worth every minute, and I've been so lucky to have this opportunity. Major squeals from me this morning when I saw this article I wrote on the website with my byline at the moment! *cue much excitement*

Until next time when free time is a thing again...


Love Honor xxx



Post a Comment