What to do with 48 hours in Copenhagen

Thursday 31 March 2016 • 2 comments

I can practically see the tumbleweed rolling across my blog, I know... it's been far too long once more since I've done a post. This one has turned out to be both picture and word heavy, so hopefully evens it out a bit. (Pls) Uni has been so manic recently, but I've finished lectures for the year which is just the strangest feeling. Cue manic revision time but also more chances for blogging yay!

Of course it hasn't been all work and no play, apart from making the most of what London has to offer, I've also been checking out another European city, the beautiful Copenhagen.



By a lucky chance, this trip came around just when I needed a break from uni, and I got to spend some quality time with my mum which was so lovely. First time we've been away just the two of us, and I can definitely recommend a mother-daughter holiday! Would also recommend getting tipsy on Bucks Fizz on the flight over at 9am too.... Not that we did that.

Copenhagen has been somewhere that I've wanted to visit for SO long, it's always seemed to be somewhere that appealed to me- culture, food, history, architecture and that effortless scandi-cool vibe. Finally got round to seeing it last month, definitely not the normal tourist time, which was nice because it wasn't too rammed and busy. 

If you do go in February, my one piece of advice would be oh my days do not underestimate how cold and windy it might be because oh wow I don't remember the last time I was that cold. It did snow though which was so pretty and extra lovely because there hadn't been any snow in London this year. Sad face.


We only stayed for a night, but my goodness did we pack it in. I think we managed to see almost all of the main sights and areas which is pretty impressive even if I say so myself.

The first thing we did once we'd checked in was to hit the main shopping area, obviously. Strøget is one of the longest shopping streets in Europe and in the old town, so we managed to see lots of the city on the way, including the Town Hall which is definitely worth a visit.

The street opened up to a square where we stopped for what must be one of the best and most individual brunches I've eaten. Cafe Norden is house in a beautiful old building, and the decor inside was just gorgeous. We're moving house at the moment and the interior inspired my mum and I so much!


The tea was served in an amazing metal teapot, the like of which I'd never seen before. It came with an amazing chocolately concoction, tasted like brownie but had a biscuit texture. Either way it was not on plate for very long ngl.


So you know how when you're in a restaurant and you really want to eat all the items but you can only order one or maybe two if you have friends willing to share? Well in this restaurant they were like lets just whack all the amazing brunch foods on one plate. Cue actual hearts in my eyes.

There was cheese, fish, rye bread, fruit, jam, honey, yoghurt, cake, crepes with syrup and it was all equally delicious. Can't recommend this place more, I always think that when locals go there it must be good, and it certainly felt authentic and a really special experience.


After our waistbands were sufficiently tighter than before we went to the cafe, we got a boat trip around the city, and this is something that really made the trip for me.

It got us to see the vast majority of the touristy aspects, including the statue of the Little Mermaid which we saw from the boat. Don't wanna be too controversial here but tbh it was crap. Like so overrated, it was just a piddly little statue really far out and wouldn't have been worth the walk in my ever so humble opinion.

We also saw the so-called Oops Missile named after a ship accidentally let off a missile which destroyed about 130 holiday homes... OOPS. This story had been mentioned by a friend of mine and it seemed to surreal to be true, but true it was. Did get a good giggle out of my mum and I since no one was hurt luckily!

The view above is from when we stopped off at the super pretty Christianshavn and climbed the tower at The Church of Our Saviour. Despite the frankly shite weather the view was still amazing, and worth all the steps, better than leg day at the gym amirite ladies.


Whilst there we visited the weird and wonderful commune of Christiania, a self-proclaimed autonomous neighbourhood (think signs saying 'You are now entering the EU' when you leave it). Due to all the illegal but v obvious weed dealing, it's very strongly advised that no pictures are taken, which is a shame because the photo ops were fab.

Completely different to the rest of chic Copenhagen, but definitely worth a look around!



Before we left the next day, we visited Christiansborg palace, which blew me away with the beauty, opulence and history. They say a picture is worth a 1000 words so I'll finish off with my favourite pictures from it.


Wannabe Danish princess lol.





The bright blue foot covers were v fit but luckily they went with my outfit so that's all good.

Hope you might be inspired to consider Copenhagen for a visit!

Honor xxx









2 comments

  1. I am visiting Copenhagen next month and this has given me so much inspiration - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm so glad! Hope you have an amazing time, it's such a beautiful city :)

      Honor xxx

      Delete