Spending An Afternoon Alone in London

Thursday 18 February 2016 • 1 comment

I know, the title looks all cue the violins and sad music, but I've recently started spending time exploring on my own and have so enjoyed finding some hidden gems. 

Before, I'd be reluctant to go and do something by myself, but I've found it's a great opportunity to sort out thoughts and have some quality me time. Plus, there's so many free things to do here, I only spent £2.70 on my afternoon outing.

I'm not counting the 60p on a creme egg, because that's obviously a necessity right?

My usual walk to university is across Waterloo Bridge, and on a crisp sunny day the views are just gorgeous. It definitely got me in the mood to find some equally picturesque sights, so armed with my camera I headed to Monument.

(Guess who realised they hadn't charged their camera until too late... Excuse the iPhone quality pictures pls.)



I've been wanting to go to St Pauls for aaaages, but ya know, student life makes me reluctant to spend £14.50 for entry. I'll go when the next batch of loan comes in, but until then, I've found the Monument offers pretty stunning views.

It's only £2.70 to go up to the top, but be warned, those 311 steps are a killer by the end! The view is completely worth it though. The last entry is at 5pm, and at this time it's pretty special to get up there when the light is just fading, casting a soft glow across the city.


You've got beaut views of the city, St Pauls, the Shard, and my personal favourite, Tower Bridge. (On a separate note the other day I saw it open and close and I was very excited. That is all.)

I'd definitely recommend a trip here, but be prepared for a trek up to the top. I made the mistake of looking down the middle of the staircase and was like whoa I am high up- it looks relatively small from the bottom but the views are exceptional.


Note to self- don't hold your phone out for a picture like this again, it was not your best idea... 

I also visited the beautiful St Dustan-in-the-East, the ruins of church bombed during the Blitz. The only part left intact is a Tower, designed by Christopher Wren but there has been a church on that site since Saxon times. It's now open as a public garden, and what's staggering is how quiet and secluded it feels when it's right in the middle of the city next to main roads.

When I was there I only saw two other people, who were sitting quietly enjoying this little piece of oasis in the heart of one of the busiest cities in the world.








These two places are within a two minute walk, and are definitely worth it if you're in the area! Nearest tube is Monument, and it's not far from the Tower of London or Borough Market, so it's pretty easy to make a day out of coming here.

Life can't be too bad when views like these are just a ten minute walk away can it?

Honor xxx












1 comment

  1. Oh my god your photos are so beautiful! I really want to go here now! I can't believe they're so close to you. It's rare to find places like that on your doorstep!

    More posts like this from you please! <3

    Lois | www.aworthytrend.blogspot.co.uk xxxx

    ReplyDelete