Saatchi Gallery | Chanel Mademoiselle Privé

Saturday 31 October 2015 • 2 comments

A friend of mine texted me asking what I was doing at the weekend, and when I replied that I was seeing a Chanel exhibit at the Saatchi gallery, her response was something along the lines of how I'm not exactly living the student life... But you know what? I wouldn't have it any other way. I completely adored the exhibition (plus it's free!), and I can think of few better ways to spend my Sunday than visiting it, and having a stroll and coffee along the King's Road afterwards.


(image from Italian Vogue)


My advice would be to get there early, as it opens at 10 and when we arrived at 10.30 we still had to queue for over half an hour to get in, and once we left it was even bigger, but it is certainly worth the wait.



It's beautifully set out, I was simply in awe at how well done the exhibition was- light and space is used to dazzling effect, emphasising Chanel's creations, from perfume to dresses.

The initial section is based on her life, allowing you to understand where some of her inspiration came from, such as the Chanel symbol, illustrated below in a fantastical recreation of the garden at the orphanage she grew up in. 



There was also a section dedicated to some of the iconic Chanel symbols, set out in varied and imaginative ways, such as this bucket full of handbag chains!

I adored the perfume room, the second my friends and I walked in there was simultaneous exclamations of "can you smell that?!". It appeals to almost all your senses, with smells, sights and sounds all conveying the iconic Chanel No.5. The room was filled with pods like the one pictured below, each representing (and smelling of!) a different component of the perfume, yet it was never overwhelming as only one was open at a time, allowing you to fully appreciate them.


But undoubtedly the highlight for me was the couture collection, with a vast array of dreamy dresses which had me wistfully internet shopping that evening for look alikes.


The darkness and quiet of the room centered all your attention on the dresses, and the genius of the brand really shines through. I've never had the opportunity to see creations (I'm calling them that rather than clothes because they just surpass that label), up close, and the attention to detail was so beautiful.



Another room of couture designs had stunning photos around the edge of some of Chanel's most iconic representatives of the brand, and you could spend hours wandering around the exhibition. A definite must see!


Honor xxx







2 comments

  1. *Heart eye emoji after heart eye emoji!* I'm dying to go! Gorgeous post :)

    Lois | A Worthy Trend

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must! Next time you come to London I'm dragging you here :)

      xxx

      Delete