Why Beijing Should Be On Your Bucket List

Sunday 19 November 2017 • 1 comment

When you think of must-see travel destinations, I bet there are a few destinations common to many others- Bali, Paris, New York, Rome, New Zealand....

Beijing probably isn't on the top of that list, or even at all.

But it should be.

If I'm honest, I had relatively low expectations of Beijing before I spent two weeks there this summer. I had pictures of somewhere grey, pollution so thick I could barely see the tops of buildings, and an oppressive atmosphere with the whole internet censorship.

I could not have been more wrong!




I spent two of the best weeks of my life eating incredible food, wandering around lush gardens, exploring thousand year old buildings and palaces, and marvelling at this country's rich and vibrant culture.

I was studying at Tsinghua university for a summer programme, aimed at introducing foreign students to Chinese society and culture, and although it felt like the least academic trip ever, I came away with new perspectives and opinions, as well as memories I'll always treasure.

For a history nerd like myself, it was amazing to discover centuries old temples and constructions, and to learn about a past I had very little knowledge of. Everything was so different to what I had experienced before, and unlike a lot of very Westernised places, I felt that I was truly emerged in an authentic and fascinating culture. There were so many different colours and architectural styles, with each district in this sprawling city having contrasting atmospheres and pasts.

It would take many blog posts for me to write about all the reasons people should visit Beijing, but there are my top 5 places to see, and I think the pictures speak for themselves...



1. Forbidden City

It's iconic for a reason, and although it's probably the most touristy place you'll see in Bejing (Great Wall aside), it's clear why. This is a masterclass in Chinese imperial architecture, a small city completely isolated from the rest of the capital, comprised of seemingly endless buildings and marvels to see. For maximum effect, go at the very start of your trip early in the morning or in the evening, and give yourself enough time to wander around and take it all in. 







2. Lama Temple

I'd call this a hidden gem. Tucked down a side street just minutes from the frantic streets (and when I say frantic, I mean running for your life across busy roads because green men and red lights don't really seem to mean anything here...), this is a little oasis with many delights to see. I'd never seen Buddhist temples before, or huge gold statues dominating buildings, or ritual incense ceremonies, or such intricate and ornate details on buildings before, but I saw them all aplenty here.

It's well worth a few hours exploring and learning about Beijing's fascinating past- what better way to gain an appreciation than this?!







3. Great Wall of China

Now this is somewhere which is probably on a bucket list or two... and for good reason! Whilst my stupid more athletic friends opted to hike up the steep slope in 30 degree heat, I took the more relaxing option of a chairlift up to the top, being treated to stunning views across the mountain range.

At the top I spent hours walking around, climbing up structures and just generally being in awe of this epic feat of construction, knowing that I was standing on so much history. You're pretty free to explore and take things at your own pace, and if you walk slightly further away from the main section you'll get past the hundreds of selfie takers and find yourself in slightly more secluded spots. (Although I did of course get a good picture, or two, or maybe more...)







4. Summer Palace

Without a doubt, this was my favourite place I visited in Beijing. I good scarcely comprehend that we were still in a capital city, instead I felt that I was far into the countryside. This gorgeous place used to be the emperor's retreat when the heat got too much in the heart of the city, and it is truly a mini slice of heaven. Think lilies stretching across an endless lake, views for days, fascinating palace buildings....

Definitely get a boat trip, and climb all the way up the top of the hill, it's worth the walk, and think of all the dumplings you can eat with all those calories burnt!




5. Financial District

Beijing is a city of contrasts, and nowhere illustrates this as much as the financial district. Whilst the rest of the city is a juxtaposition of imperial remnants and grey communist buildings, this part felt ridiculously modern and huge. For the first time I was really aware that I was in a capital city, one with a huge draw and income, and an international power.

The CCTV building is an architectural feat, and there are loads of cool bars and restaurants to find here.




There are so many other places I could talk about, from the Temple of Heaven, to the campus at Beijing university, it's a huge sprawling city which needs weeks to get to know properly, but I'll always be grateful that I visited here.

Brb, planning my next trip...

Honor xxx

1 comment

  1. Honor this looks absolutely beautiful!! Beijing wasn't on my bucket list, but I feel now it definitely ought to be! Love you pics! <3

    Lois | www.aworthytrend.com xxx

    ReplyDelete