Spontaneous Sightseeing in Singapore

Saturday 20 January 2018 • No comments

It's official, I'm a little bit greedy when it comes to travelling. The second I'm back from a trip (or even still during one...) I'm planning where else I can go. I've got an ever-expanding bucket list of about thirty places I'm desperate to visit, and I'm determined to get through.

Travelling's one of the most important things in my life, I get restless staying in one place for too long, and I'm always dreaming of some far off exciting land. It's what makes life exciting in my opinion. It's experiencing a whole new way of life you never could have imagined, or seeing landscapes conjured straight out of your daydream, or an assault to all of your senses which hits you in one go. Whatever your experience, I think you're changed and shaped by every trip you make, from the people you meet, to the sights you see. 

You'd think that in this increasingly global world, people would be becoming more open and welcoming to others from all walks of life, but it doesn't seem to always be the case. So many people are closed minded, and shut off to any possibilities, taking out their fears and resentments on anyone who is different to them. But I think travelling is the best way to open your mind and change your perspectives, and make you realise that the world is far bigger and more amazing than you possibly could have fathomed.




...

Well that was a bit of a tangent. Anyway. Back to Singapore.

Very much a last minute and spontaneous trip to visit my friend who lives there. We met on study abroad in Oslo, and so hadn't seen each other in about 7 months, which is FAR too long. I finished my uni work early, and figured I may as well make the most of these excessively long holidays before real life kicked in... So a 14 hour flight later I arrived in Singapore for 3 nights (!)


As a solo female traveller, it's always nice to be somewhere that feels totally safe and welcoming. The second I arrived I could barely stop the smile spreading across my face (and that was purely from the heat tbh, did not miss the snow and rain back in England), the city just had such an incredibly cool and vibrant feel to it.

I stayed in Little India, and so my first evening I explored this area and Arab Street. Each street felt different, and I loved the sub-sections within the cities which took me to different countries and cultures in just a short walk. 

I'd recommend this area for the food alone if I'm honest. My friend took me to a South Indian vegetarian restaurant and RUINED chai lattes, chutneys, curry, and basically all Indian takeaway for me, it was that good. So fun to try authentic food as well, as not the bright orange slop masquerading as tikka masala in the UK...

Hawker centres are the best place to try a range of local cuisine, from fresh juices, to carrot cake (nothing like you'd think it would be- it's fried egg, soy sauce, radishes etc, in total contrast to its name), to dishes you've never heard of but definitely should try.



A trip to Singapore wouldn't be complete without a walk around Harbour Bay, checking out views of the skyline, the Merlion and of course Gardens by the Bay. I managed to catch the light shows here and at the hotel, and they were definitely worth a watch.

It was here that I learnt how quickly Singapore weather can change, and that it's not a great idea to wear white t shirts in monsoon season...

The entire island for the Louis Vuitton shop was pretty much the definition of extra, but I kind of loved it.

But the best part of this area in the Din Tai Fung restaurant, because dumplings are possibly the love of my life <3 There's a few of these scattered around the world (and one coming to London this year ahhh!!!), so if you see one go. Just go and eat and your body weight in dumplings, buns and soy sauce. It'll be worth it.















But Singapore's not known as the Garden City for nothing. Although it's incredibly modern and high tech in some parts, it feels like there's a little oasis around every corner.

The Southern Ridges walk was one of the highlights of my trip. Walking through the treetops of a rainforest, with no sounds but the birds and rain, it was so calm and such a contrast to the nearby surroundings. Bit gutted there were no monkey sightings though :( 

Sentosa was worth a visit to purely because of the fact I was on a beach in thirty degrees in the beginning of January and my family were home moaning to me about the rain. They're artificial beaches but you wouldn't know it, they're a little slice of paradise.




Last but definitely not least is the Botanic Gardens which are lush and green and so so beautiful.

Also a popular place for dates/hook ups according to my Singaporean friend, so there's really something for everyone here...





Well there you have it. My whirlwind guide to Singapore, and I have to say, I'm pretty impressed with how much I managed to fit in. It's a convenient stopping point on the way to Australia/New Zealand, but I think it deserves a few days to explore properly. Hoping to go there again this summer on the way to Indonesia and Malaysia, bring on graduation!

Honor xxx

Post a Comment