5 Hours in Copenhagen

Friday 5 May 2017 • 3 comments

Spontaneity is the key to numerous incredible experiences. Saying yes on a whim can be one of the best decisions- who knows where it'll take you? This weekend it took me on a free trip to Copenhagen on an overnight ferry (I use the word ferry extremely loosely, it was more like a floating amusement centre) from Oslo and back again in time for uni work on Monday.

Or at least that was my intention. The final instalment in one of my favourite book trilogies came out, but reading is educational... right?

I wrote a post about my trip to Copenhagen last February, but daym seeing this beautiful city illuminated in sunshine rather than muted by heavy clouds has given me a whole new love for it.



I only had 5 hours in Copenhagen, but although the time whizzed by, I felt like I managed to pack a lot in. Some people like to take things super easy when they're travelling, and aren't bothered about seeing everything. I'm totally the opposite. although I sometimes wish I wasn't! I always want to see as much as I can, and not leave anything out- there's so many places I want to visit, I rarely make return trips anywhere!


After an obligatory stop for pastries, because duh, who goes to Denmark and doesn't eat amounts of pastries that will have you doing HIIT sessions at the gym for the next week?, I went on a free walking tour of this fascinating place. If you havent been on one of these tours before, I cannot recommend it more highly. They're in pretty much every European city I've visited, and it's run by a local who will give you insider tips, as well as a great grounding of the place you're visiting. Shockingly, although the name might have given it away, they're completely free, but you're encouraged to tip the tour guide at the end.

 

This took me around all the major sights of Copenhagen, the city halls, bustlingly squares, the harbour of Nyhavn which I'm almost certain you'll recognise from nearly identical shots scattered across instagram...  I'd visited the main touristy spots in my last visit, so it was lovely to simple wander around and learn more about the city's past. The history nerd inside was rejoicing, yup, I was that person asking questions and wanting to know more about everything...


After 5 months of living in sun-deprived Scandinavia, it was a thrilling treat to simply sit in the sun and amble through light-dappled cobbled streets, admiring the buildings and surroundings.


The botanical gardens were made to be savoured on days like this, rich with smells and sights to thaw wintery hearts. If I had more time, reclining on the grass with a picnic and doing nothing would have been a perfect nothing.


Of course, I couldn't go to a city without an obligatory tower climb to see the city from above, and I was so not disappointed. Watching the sunset from the Round Tower would be an ideal way to round off a day in Copenhagen, so if you ever find yourself here, it's something to consider!


I'm aware that I'm waxing lyrical about Copenhagen, but I honestly felt like I could live here quite happily. I've fallen in love with Scandinavia, and although I love home, the prospect of moving back at the end of the month is not the most thrilling. But hey, knowing that there are places like this in world makes me realise that there's so much to explore and see!

Here's to the next spontaneous adventure, Honor xxx

3 comments

  1. I love the photo at the end <3 (I love all of them, but especially that one!) You've made me desperately want to pack my bags and head off to Copenhagen!

    Lois | www.aworthytrend.com xxxxx

    ReplyDelete